How to Make Perfect Italian Pizza Dough
When it comes to making perfect pizza dough you really have to think like a true Italian.
Take pride in your cooking, and take your time. This recipe is quick and simple to prepare, the key is in the proving.
Our recipe is deliciously light and packed with flavour. Plus, you can keep the dough refrigerated for up to a week! So don’t worry if you want to try a few different toppings on your bases.
This recipe makes 2 12-inch pizza bases, if you want to make one or more the measurements are easy to adjust.
The key to what makes this the best Italian pizza dough recipe is the type of flour we use! We use a very finely ground Italian white flour for our standard pizza dough. Our favourite flour to use is 00 as its texture is perfect, it is right in the middle of a semolina and cornstarch texture making it ideal for a light, tasty dough. You can find 00 flour in most supermarkets, or you can buy it online.
So what do you need to make our perfect pizza dough?
- 150 grams 00 flour
- 150 grams all-purpose flour
- 8 grams fine salt
- 2 grams active dry yeast
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- In a large mixing bowl, combine both of the flours and the salt.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together 200 grams of lukewarm tap water, the yeast and the olive oil. Then pour this into the flour mixture.
- Knead the mixture with your hands until well combined, approximately 3 minutes, then let the mixture rest for 15 minutes. Knead rested dough for another 3 minutes.
- Cut into 2 equal pieces and shape each into a ball. Place on a well-floured surface or bowl and cover with a damp cloth. Allow your dough to rest and rise for 3 to 4 hours at room temperature, or for 8 to 24 hours in the fridge. (If you refrigerate the dough, remove it 30 to 45 minutes before you begin to shape)
- Once your dough has risen, to make your pizza bases, place each dough ball on a well-floured surface and use your fingers to stretch it. Then use your hands to shape it into circles or squares. Place your sauce, cheese and toppings on. Bake at 200 degrees in a preheated oven on a warmed baking tray for 8-15 minutes. Serve hot, fresh, and enjoy!
We hope you enjoy our perfect pizza dough recipe! To Book a Table at Pezzo D'Italia click here.
Be sure to share your home creations with us on social media.