How to Make a Creamy Cacio e Pepe
At Pezzo D’Italia we know that our Cacio e Pepe is our most popular pasta dish. Many of our customers have asked for the recipe. So, we have finally decided to share our secret! This recipe will show you how to make a creamy Cacio e Pepe with just 3 simple ingredients!
Served with bucatini or spaghetti pasta, our recipe is a classic, authentic Italian, ultra-creamy recipe. This deliciously cheesy pasta dish will have your mouth-watering so much you’ll want to make it every day!
450g Fresh Bucatini or Spaghetti (Tip - to see our perfect pasta recipe click here)
200g Pecorino Romano
1 tsp Fresh Ground Black Pepper
1 tbsp Parmesan
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Use less water than normal so that your pasta water is extra starchy, this will help give the creaminess to your sauce later.
- Finely grate your pecorino cheese into a small mixing bowl and set it aside.
- Next, add your freshly ground pepper in a large dry frying pan on a medium heat (do not add oil otherwise the pepper won’t toast), toast the pepper for just a few seconds.
- After a few seconds add 120ml of your nice starchy pasta water. Turn the heat to low so that this can simmer whilst your pasta is cooking.
- Add a few tablespoons of your starchy pasta water to the pecorino cheese, only adding a small amount at a time. Do this until it has the consistency of starts to thicken, it will look slightly like heavy cream but don’t worry if it’s not smooth yet, it will be.
- Once the pasta is about 2 minutes away from being cooked, transfer it to your frying pan with the pepper using tongs and stir it for about 1 minute to release more starch.
- Next, turn the heat down to low and add the pecorino and starchy pasta water mixture. Stir it continuously until a smooth and creamy cheese sauce is created. Don’t panic if it looks like it has split at first, that’s just the reaction to the heat, keep stirring and it will turn into a smooth, creamy sauce.
- Once you have a smooth consistency turn the heat off completely and keep stirring for 1 more minute to let it thicken, make sure you twist your pasta and really coat it in that tasty sauce!
- Serve hot and fresh with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese on top.
This recipe makes enough for 4 servings. We recommend eating it fresh, do not freeze or reheat it as this will compromise the quality of your cheese sauce. Simply alter the amount of each ingredient if you are cooking for less.
We hope you enjoy our how to make a creamy Cacio e Pepe tutorial. Give our recipe a try for yourselves and be sure to share your creations with us on social media!
For a relaxed evening being wined and dined why not book a table and enjoy our 25% off food discount for the rest of 2021! Click here to reserve a table.